Leave a Comment

Spring Ahead Sewing

My last two ducklings left their nest last Summer, and to fill the void, I moved my sewing studio into my son’s old room. My old sewing studio was starting to fall apart with water leaks, electrical, and insulation problems. But it were the critters that used┬ámy space (and fabrics) for nesting that really had me at my wit’s end.

My attempt at shrinking my stash lead to more productive sewing the last few weeks. But I realized last night that my whole-hearted desire┬áto reduce stash always results in getting more. I come across patterns I want to make, and voila, not the right fabric to be found in the stash. How does that ever happen? I have yards of fabric–enough to run a small cottage business. I’m that woman with a closet full of fabric and nothing suitable for my next pattern.

Before I ran out of ideas–I was enamored with my growing collection of Japanese cotton and double gauze. I am no quilter, but going through each piece has made me want to quilt something in the very near future. (Unfortunately, quilts don’t really use up that much fabric.) Here’s a couple of completed gauze pieces I made last month.


This is a big dress, and will magically add a few extra pounds to my body. But the double gauze drape is forgiving, and if you hem it above the knee, it will compensate for the fullness.


Pattern by Cynthia Rowley Simplicity 8124, View A. Fabric is double gauze from Harts Fabric.


Burda Style Pattern 123A top. This was a downloaded pattern that also has a dress version.


Armholes are a bit strange, but very full and comfortable. I found the pattern itself uneven. The sleeves measurements were off. I had to true the pattern again for my next sew.


The front neckline is very wide. My bra strap showed. I ended up creating an inverted pleat (sorry no picture) at the center front neckline to pull it tighter. I also adjusted the pattern front bodice piece down a good two inches. If you have an hour-glass body, I don’t really recommend this pattern as is. The hips will be tight because it’s a tree trunk design.

I have about five yards of the triple gauze, and it is wider than the Nani Iro or other Kokka double gauze fabric available in the states. This piece also cost me about $5.00 a meter. That’s right…not a typo on the price. The pattern is so-so, and obviously meant for kiddie things. But I think it looks okay and because it’s thicker, I can wear it now and through early Spring.


Here is the same pattern with 100% cotton. I have owned this fabric for ten years. I originally purchased it at Stonemountain and Daughter. I also have it in a reverse black background. The sleeves still ended up off grain, even after truing the sleeves. I don’t know if I would sew this pattern a third time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s